A while back I was home by myself, it had been a bad week, was cold and rainy, and I wanted something comforting. But not just any comforting – not junk food or candy or the usual go-to’s. I wanted something with a heavy hit of flavor. Savory, silky, crunchy, full of vegetables and goodness. Something to get me out of the funk.
I dug around in the fridge, finding not a whole lot left. We had frozen peas, firm tofu, some frozen dumplings (for some reason I got these during an ice storm in a panic…we have an electric stove so they wouldn’t have done us much good), miso paste, an egg, an odd bunch of celery, and some onions. Just odds and ends lying about.
I won’t tell you that this is traditional. Or fancy. Or in any way legit. But it is damn good. And that poached egg sends it over the top.
Poached Egg Kitchen Sink Miso Soup with Dumplings
Serves 1 generously
- 4 frozen dumplings (I used Ajinomoto pork gyoza but use whatever you like)
- 1 stalk celery, sliced thinly
- 1 handful of peas, frozen or fresh
- 1/2 cup cubed firm tofu
- 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2-3 tbs miso paste, to taste
- Heat a skillet on medium heat without oil. Place the dumplings flat side down onto the hot pan and add 2-3 ounces of water. Cook the dumplings on medium for 2-3 minutes. Remove the lid and let the water cook off until dumplings are crispy on the bottom and browned- about 5 minutes. (You can also steam if you want but I like the crunch).
- Heat 1 1/2 cups of water over medium heat with peas, onion, and celery until vegetables are softened but still have a bit of bite – about 5-10 minutes. Stir in the tofu and miso paste and heat until warm.
- In a small pot, poach an egg in water over a gentle boil until white are opaque and firm.
- Pour the miso broth into a bowl, top with gyoza and poached egg. Serve!
*Please note that you really can use just about anything on hand for the vegetables – quartered tomatoes, avocado, spinach, sliced radishes, asparagus, snap peas – you name it, it’ll probably work!
*If you need a hand deciding which dumplings to get, check this list out!